The West Coast of the South Island has two outstanding glaciers that come from the highest reaches of the Southern Alps all the way down (almost) to sea level. These are massive areas of snow and ice that are linked by a system of four huts. In winter and spring when the snow piles up and the crevasses are filled, this becomes a ski touring and mountaineering paradise.
The emphasis will be tailored to the group and can range from getting the best and most skiing possible, going for summits whilst learning ski mountaineering techniques such as:
- Ski and snowboard touring techniques & smart terrain selection
- Mountaineering & rope skills applicable to glacier ski & snowboard mountaineering.
- Avalanche Awareness, transceiver use & rescue techniques
- Glacier travel and crevasse rescue
- Route finding, trip planning and navigation